Lanna Food : Thai Food Of The North
Thai food of the north, in some way, is cooked with the sole thought for the taste for the northern people. The recipe consists of vegetable and ingredients available in their immediate vicinity. The common meal includes steamed glutinous rice, chili sauces which come in a host of varieties. The northern people have penchant for medium cooked food with a touch of salty tastes almost to the exclusion of sweet and sour tastes. Meat preferred by the northern people is pork followed by beef, chicken, duck, bird etc. Sea food is the least known on account of the remoteness of the northern region from the sea.
Thai food of the north does not lack in varieties. These are dishes to be consumed at different times of the day. The northern breakfast known in the local dialect as khao gnai consisting mainly of steamed glutinous rice. Cooked in the early hours of the day, steamed glutinous rice is packed in a wicker basket made from bamboo splints or palmyra palm leaves. The farmer takes the packed basket to the working rice field and eat the glutinous rice as lunch, known in the dialect as "khao ton". Dinner or "khoa lang" is an familiar affair is served on raised wooden tray or "kan toke". The tray which is about 15 to 30 inches in diameter is painted in red.
MENU LANNA : รายการอาหารล้านนา
1. แกงฮังเลหมู : Pork curry with ginger, peanuts and tamarind (gaeng haeng lay).
2. น้ำพริกอ่องหมู : "Lanna" style chili-tomato-minced pork dip (nam prik ong).
3. น้ำพริกหนุ่ม : grilled young chili paste (nam prik num).
4. ไก่ทอด : Fried chicken or pork or "Lanna" style spareribs.
5. ผัดผักรวม : Fried mixed vegetables.
6. ซุปไก่ : Clear chicken soup or "Soup of the Day".
7. แคบหมู : Crispy pork skin (kaeb moo).
8. ผักสด, ผักลวก : Fresh, steamed vegetables.
9. กล้วยทอด : Fried bananas.
10. ข้าวเหนียว : Sticky rice (cow niew).
11. ผลไม้, ขนมนางเล็ด (ข้าวแต๋น) : Mixed tropical fruits or assorted Thai desserts.